An Old Fashioned Hymn Swing
is steeped in both the music of the church and jazz, understanding
both genres at deep levels. With An Old-Fashioned Hymn Swing, he has
done what The Christian Story advised against: he has poured the old
wine of the Gospel Story (cum music) into the new wineskin of jazz.
And done so superbly and engagingly.
Old tunes to new rhythms will tantalize the imagination of church folk; and the rhythm of jazz renewed by the “Old, Old Story” will make jazz lovers ask some new questions about the connections between the Gospel Story and the many rhythms of jazz.
Dent has done what Jazz Vespers seeks to do every Sunday afternoon at St. Andrew’s-Wesley Church -- make that connection real!
St. Andrew’s-Wesley United Church,
1. Don’t Get Around Duke Street Much Anymore (Duke Street /
John Hatton) – LISTEN! (MP3 file;
2. Peaceful Sundown (Eventide / W.H. Monk)
3. Rock ‘n Friend (Friendship / Charles C. Converse)
4. Doc’s Ology (Old Hundredth / Louis Borgeois)
5. Double You (Wesley)
6. Wholly Nice (Nicaea / John Bacchus Dykes)
7. Rhonnda, Help Me! (Cwm Rhonnda / John Hughes)
8. Peace of Oak (Carry the Flame / Patricia Pavey)
9. Last One’s From 5 to 6 (Lasst Uns Erfeuen)
10. A Love Divine (Hyfrydol / R. Hugh Pritchard)
11. Isle of View (Crimond / Jessie Seymour Irvine)
12. Ayan (St. Andrew / William Tans’ur)
Piano: Peter Dent;
Bass: Danny Parker;
Drums: Joel Fountain.
Contact and Purchase Information
Return to Peter Dent's home